Black Lives Matter.
In the midst of a pandemic disproportionately claiming Black lives, police brutality has yet again bared the illness at the root of America’s founding: structural, anti-Black racism. Oregon bears a significant weight of this racist history. Design Portland humbly joins the fight for Black lives led by Black Lives Matter, and countless other grassroots organizations who have been at the forefront of the struggle for centuries. We recognize the work and vision of Creative Reaction Lab and many other Black-led organizations who are paving the way forward, including the list of local groups below.
We honor the lives of Breonna Taylor, George Floyd, Ahmaud Arbery, Tony McDade, and so many others who should still be with us today, many of them right here in Portland. We call for justice in their names.
As a design organization, we recognize that the system is working exactly as it was designed. We recognize our part in the system and our shared responsibility to dismantle white supremacy. We also recognize our influence and the importance of amplifying Black excellence in the creative fields and centering the contributions and vision of Black designers and leaders.
We are calling ourselves to task.
- We will deepen our work to amplify Black voices.
- We will invest our dollars in Black businesses and collaborators.
- We will build our board with Black leadership.
- We will strengthen our partnership with Black-led organizations.
- We will give resources to Black organizers to multiply their efforts.
- We will center our Black community members.
- We will influence business leaders and policymakers to support our Black community.
- We will embrace anti-racism and work to identify and eliminate implicit racism individually and collectively, as an organization.
We are calling our community to action.
- We expect our community to call out our failings, as some have already done.
- We call our community to get educated, if needed, and show up for racial justice.
- We urge our community to support local Black-owned businesses and restaurants.
- We press our community to support Black-led organizations, including Albina Vision, Black United Fund, NAACP, PAALF, and Urban League of Portland.
- We demand that our mayor end the use of aggressive anti-protest methods and defund the police department.
There is much for us to do today, tomorrow, and every day from here forward. We will be accountable to our commitments.